Bilbao will be filled with magic and excitement over the coming weeks thanks to the wide range of free cultural activities organized by Bilbao City Council in all of the town’s neighbourhoods.
Leisure, culture and commerce for the whole family, but especially for the boys and girls who live and visit the city during these days.
We tell you the essential family plans to do with children in Bilbao during these holidays.
Turning on the Christmas lights
On November 29, Christmas in Bilbao officially begins with the traditional lighting of the lights that will take place from 8:00 p.m. in El Arenal, after a live music and dance show that will begin at 7:00 p.m.
Bilbao will be filled with magic for several weeks, thanks to the festive atmosphere offered by the more than 1.3 million LED light bulbs that have been distributed throughout the city. Among these illuminations are the 120 illuminated trees and the whale, next to the estuary.
A walk through the Christmas decorated city
Don’t miss any of the Christmas decorations that will fill the city with magic over the next few days:
Where are the Christmas lights located?
- Plaza del Arriaga: large Christmas tree.
- Arenal: golden forest.
- Gran Vía: blue lights will decorate the trees of the town’s main street.
- Women’s Plaza: the figures of Olentzero and Mari Domingi will be located.
- Town Hall: in this area there is a large 14-meter decorated tree, the large Christmas ball and the Bilbao tile.
- Uribitarte Pier: the Great Golden Whale.
- District 1: Plaza Eugenio Olabarrieta in Zorrotzaurre.
- District 2: Arabella neighborhood, next to the bio-health devices.
- District 3: Garai Gardens, in Txurdinaga.
- District 4: Campa Basarrate, in Santutxu.
- District 5: Campa Ibaizabal, in La Peña.
- District 6: Ercilla Street, in Indautxu
- District 7: Jaén Street, in Errekalde.
- District 8: Plaza Azoka, in Zorrotza.Illuminated tiles: They will be located throughout the city, in the following locations:
- Sign ‘Zorionak’ and ‘B’ of Bilbao, will welcome those who visit Bilbao, at the entrances to the Villa through Juan de Garai, Avenida Sabino Arana, Avenida Zumalacárregui, entrance to Miribilla through Miraflores, Kastrexana and Zorrotza.
Bilbao will have a total of 57 trees decorated with Christmas motifs. These trees will be distributed throughout all districts of the city.
Ice rink and Christmas facilities in El Arenal
The skating rink and slide return again to the Arenal and the Ripa Pier. These facilities will remain in operation from November 30 to January 7 in the morning, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and in the afternoon, from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., although the hours will vary during the most important days. of the holidays, as we already reported in Txikiplan, in the article about ice rink hours and prices.
In total, the skating rink has more than 800 square meters of completely covered surface, while the slide is made up of 6 lanes where you can enjoy the most fun sleigh rides.
Tickets are now on sale online, through the website wwwbilbaopistadehielo.com
Christmas dream factory
Another of the attractions that Bilbao boys and girls enjoy the most is the large 450 square meter tent full of free activities and proposals for the little ones.
The Christmas Dream Factory, or Gabonetako Ametsen Faktoria, is located on the Ripa Pier and offers activities for all ages:
- For boys and girls from 3 to 6 years old, there will be a Magic Forest (toy library), the Dream Factory (workshops) and the mailbox for letters to Olentzero and the Three Wise Men.
- Boys and girls from 6 to 12 years old will be able to enjoy the Ganbara space (curiosities, stories, playroom, furniture labyrinth, photographic exhibition, story-telling space, creation area…).
The hours of these activities will be from 4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., while on weekends, holidays, and school vacations the hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Interested families must register on the specific day and time they are going to attend, through the platform https://www.eventbrite.es/ by clicking on bilboko-udala-ayuntamiento-de-bilbao. And there is also the possibility of registering at the entrance itself.