The Christmas season in Bilbao brings with it one of the most exciting activities: ice skating!
In Bilbao, the ecological ice skating rink and the slides are two of the most fun family plans for Christmas. The Bilbao City Council is once again organising this traditional Christmas project as part of the #Gabonak2023 activities, which also includes a Christmas market area, workshops and children’s activities.
Here is everything you need to know to make the most of this winter experience:
Where is the Bilbao ice skating rink?
The ice skating rink is located at the Muelle del Arenal, in the heart of the city. This emblematic place is transformed into a stage for winter fun during the Christmas season.
When is the ice rink available?
The ice rink is open to the public from 30 November to 7 January. The opening hours are as follows:
25 November to 22 December:
- Monday to Thursday from 11:00 to 14:00 and from 16:30 to 20:30.
- Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 11:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 21:00.
From 23 December to 5 January (both included):
- 11:00 to 14:00 and 16:00 to 21:00.
On 24 and 31 December the opening hours will be from 11:00 to 14:00.
On 25 December and 1 January the opening hours will be from 17:00 to 21:00.
You can confirm the opening times on the #BilbaoGabonak website: www.bilbaopistadehielo.com/es
There are three options to enjoy these activities:
- Ice rink and slide. The ticket price is 6 euros and includes 30 minutes of skating (skates included) and 3 toboggan runs.
- Ice rink. If you only want to skate on the ice rink, the entrance fee is 3,50 euros.
- Slide. If you just want to go down the slide, you can buy a ticket for 3 slides for the price of 2,50 euros.
Tickets are already on sale on the website: www.bilbaopistadehielo.com/es/
What experience awaits you?
The ice rink offers a thrilling experience for skaters of all levels. It is an 800 square metre rink of “green ice”, made with innovative and more sustainable materials that mimic the feeling of skating, similar to that of a frozen water rink.
For the little ones, assistance and supports are often provided to help them keep their balance, allowing them to enjoy the rink safely. In addition, festive music and Christmas decorations create a magical atmosphere that adds to the charm of the experience.
Tips for your visit
- Appropriate clothing: It is advisable to wear comfortable and warm clothing. In addition, it is essential to wear gloves when skating on the ice rink.Children under 6 years of age must wear a helmet on the rink. In case you do not bring your own helmet, the organisation offers helmets on loan and gloves for sale at the rink.
Remember that it is not possible to access with backpacks or large bags and the track does not have a locker, so we recommend that you do not bring such objects to the facilities.
- Timetables: You must arrive 30 minutes before the time shown on your ticket. The organisers warn that the start time of the activity may vary depending on the capacity at that time and the preparation time (delivery of skates, delivery of shoes, etc.).
- Minimum age to enter the event: The minimum age to enter the ice rink is 3 years old. Remember that children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by an adult with a valid ticket.
In the case of the slide, the minimum age is 2 years old. With 2 and 3 years old they must go with an adult (only one ticket will be required for both of them). At the age of 4 they can go on their own and if an adult wants to go with them, they must have their own ticket.
Have fun safely: Follow the staff’s instructions and safety rules to enjoy the experience without any worries.
How to get there
The ice rink is located at Muelle del Arenal, 48005, Bilbao and the slide is located at Muelle de Ripa, 48005, Bilbao.